Friday, July 17, 2009

Washing Windows

Last week I finally got around to my annual task of washing windows. (If windows are supposed to be washed more than once a year, please don't tell me as I feel mighty successful if I can actually complete the job each year!) I actually enjoy washing my windows since they have the nifty tilt-in feature. It's so handy to wash both the inside and outside together. I only have to go outside for one big living room window. The difficult part is not to get any streaks on the windows. And the messy part is wiping out the dirty window sills. It's amazing how dirty they get when they're closed all winter.

As I was wiping away all the dirt from the windows and sills, I started thinking about God. And then I thought about how God washes away my sin. In washing windows, I need to spray on the cleaning solution and wipe the dirt away with a towel. When Jesus wiped away my sin he did so through his sacrifice and death. In both cases, the result is sparkling clean: windows and my soul. The analogy breaks down a little because Jesus only had to wash me once and I need to keep washing my windows, but I still sin and continually need his cleansing, so I'm sticking with the analogy.

It's amazing what God can remind you of while doing a simple household chore. And, by the way, I love looking out through my sparkling clean windows. How much more awesome to know that God sees me sparkling clean!

"Wash me and I will be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7b

No comments: