Friday, July 10, 2009

Bags and Balls

I spent two days attending a Bal-A-Vis-X workshop last week, learning how to toss beanbags and bounce raquetballs in specific rhythms. Bal-A-Vis-X is a program that incorporates balance (Bal-), auditory (A-), and vision (Vis-) exercises (X) using rhythm to help stimulate the brain and body. It requires focus as well as cooperation; many activities can be done independently or with a partner. However, the exercises are not all easy at first. In fact, I was often frustrated when I couldn't pick up an activity quickly (good reminder for how my students sometimes feel). One of the nice things about it is that everyone can participate - not only athletes. It just takes practice. This program has seen many positive results with both children and adults, and several area schools are using it. I hope to incorporate some of the exercises in my classroom next year. It will be especially helpful for students who learn best by moving around, but I think all my students will benefit from doing these exercises. That gives me about a month and a half to practice!

Here's a video demonstration of a few of the exercises.

1 comment:

kvz said...

I took that training too (although it's been a couple years now and it is not so fresh any more:))! Awesome stuff! When Bev was teaching gym she told me she had a set of those balls at school - maybe they're still around? Let me know how it goes with your students!