Sunday, June 28, 2009

Birds

As the school year ended I was so looking forward to sitting out on my backyard deck and watching the birds at my bird feeders. Just sitting back, relaxing, and watching the birds - my summertime goal. For a number of reasons I haven't been able to spend as much time as I planned sitting and watching the birds. I spent the first week of vacation finishing up some curriculum work for school and this past week has proved frustrating in dealing with the effects of a water-damaged basement, as well as a dog with a hurt leg (it's getting better), and car trouble.

But I've discovered another reason why I haven't spent a lot of time watching the birds. I've found that birds can be a lot of work! I hadn't thought about how you have to continually clean the feeders. Occasionally the birds actually eat all the food; then I only need to rinse the feeder out and let it dry before refilling it. But often (especially in the expensive, squirrel-proof feeder), they don't finish all the food and the seeds begin to sprout. Then they really won't touch it. I've also noticed how the birds, especially sparrows, peck at the seeds, scattering much of it to the ground instead of eating it all. (That might have to do with the quality of the birdseed I bought, but still, it's kind of rude to toss all that on the ground!) Of course, any seed that falls to the ground ends up growing - as weeds - right in my garden. I've debated about putting plastic under the feeder as my extra layers of landscaping bark haven't stopped the weeds.

But the hummingbirds are the most picky. I have a hummingbird feeder and twice a hummingbird has come up to it, hovering over it, but not stopping to drink. I don't know if they don't like the feeder or the feeding solution, but it doesn't last, so I end up dumping it after a week and making more.

I also enjoy watching the birds drink from the birdbath. But they can't even keep that clean, and after a few days I need to wash that too.

After a couple of weeks of this I began to think "why bother." Let the birds go somewhere else. Forget about feeding them. But then I hear them singing in the trees. And I remember the beauty of the cardinal and goldfinch. And I'm reminded how nothing in this world is easy. I think of the messiness of my life and how God continually cleans me up and takes care of me. He constantly prepares and provides for me, even when I'm picky and hover without stopping. He provides me with "Living Water" that is always clean.

So, I guess I can continue feeding my backyard birds. Once the preparation work is done, I can again sit and watch them eat and drink and take pleasure in their beauty. And thank God that He cares for me more than I care for the birds.

I've got some feeders to clean!

No comments: