Thursday, June 11, 2009

Graduation ... Second Grade ...Prayer

Two weeks ago I sat in a church balcony and watched my second graders from ten years ago graduate from high school. It was so neat to see the young men and women they’ve become. One of my former students spoke during the ceremony and another played in the praise team. And they all walked across the platform to receive their diploma. I haven’t seen most of them since elementary school, and I wonder what their lives are like. I could see from the program where some will be attending college next fall, and I know of at least one former student who is in Israel right now. She told me that she’s wanted to go to Israel ever since being in my class because of the things I shared from my experience in Israel. I prayed for these young people back when they were in my class, and as I watched them graduate I prayed for them again. I attend our high school graduation ceremony every year because these are still “my kids” and they will always have a place in my heart.

One week ago I said good-bye to the second graders from this past year. I’ve watched them grow in knowledge, faith, and friendships during the past year and I’ve prayed for them as I do each year for my students. I pray that they will know that God loves them and will always be with them, that they will accept Jesus as their personal Savior, and that they will follow God’s will for their lives.

As I reflect on the calling God has given me to educate His children, it is such an awesome responsibility and privilege to impact these lives. I wonder what my present second graders - oops, I mean third graders (for a week now!) will be like in ten years when they graduate from high school. I wonder what God has in store for each of them as they grow, learn, and eventually find their place in His world.

It’s definitely nice to have a little break from teaching during the summer, but as I say good-bye to my present class, I will continue to pray for them. Oh, and I’m already beginning to pray for the students God is placing in my class next school year. I think the most important thing I can do for my students (past, present, and future) is to pray for them.

1 comment:

LJFredricks said...

Your students are very blessed to have you. LF(Charity Vls sister in law)