Saturday, June 20, 2009

What To Post??

I could write about the "Holland Flood" we've experienced over the last couple of days. How I finally arrived home late last night after finding all the roads leading to my street closed because of flooding. How I found a large pond in my backyard covering my garden. How I felt when I went in the basement and saw water all over. And how I decided that at 12:30 in the morning I was going to bed and deal with it later. How my wonderful parents came to bring me their carpet cleaner this morning which we turned into a "water picker-upper" in the basement. How the backyard pond dissolved ... evaporated ... drained ... somehow disappeared, leaving a lot of landscape bark all over the lawn. How it's going to take a while to totally get rid of the water in the basement carpet.

I could write about the enjoyable evening I had with some high school friends last night. Four of us still get together twice a year after graduating from Grand Rapids Christian High School 28 years ago (wow, that's a long time!). The nice dinner and conversation we had, playing wii bowling (and beating the others!), and watching the thunderstorm outside. Apparently it was a good thing we didn't meet at my house or they never would have made it home from Holland.

I could write about my trip to Chicago this past Wednesday. A friend and I went to see the musical "Fiddler On The Roof" downtown. The weather was nice enough that we could spend time walking through Millennium Park, enjoying the gardens and sculptures. We even were able to listen to the Grant Park Orchestra's rehearsal which was pretty cool. After a lunch at the Corner Bakery we went to the theater and saw a wonderful performance. It was a great day.

It's been a week of ups and downs; I guess like every other week - like life in general. I'm thankful for friends and family who can share the good and the bad and bring encouragement along the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay I'm really sad that you guys got together without me. The price I pay for living so far away.

I do have to reminisce about a time when we all got together for dinner during one of my visits. During dinner it rained really hard causing some flooding. As I headed back to my brother's house I noticed a car that was stalled in the flooded street. I finally got to my brother's house and waited for Tom and the kids to come back. Once they got back I found out that the car that was stuck was my dad, Tom, and the kids. I guess my dad tried to gun it through the big pond in the road. It didn't work! Hee hee.

I guess I should learn to stop and help those that may be stuck. I hope you dry out soon. Have a good week.