Saturday, September 20, 2008

Technology - Good and Bad

I introduced my second graders to the concept of blogging yesterday afternoon.  I had a great lesson plan: explain what a blog is, show samples of individual and classroom blogs on our class computer, and then set up our own class blog.  In an ideal technological world, everything would have worked great.  Unfortunately, I do not live in an ideal technological world!  The first part of the lesson did turn out well.  Only one student had heard of a blog before (his family already has a blog); most of the kids thought it was a "blob" at first.  They liked the idea, though, so I started to show some blog examples which I had bookmarked on my computer.  We had just begun looking at the first example when our classroom lost it's internet connection.  After trying to work through it - using both Safari and Firefox - I finally gave up and we decided to move on to math and come back to the blog later.  Of course, once the kids were all working on their math activities, our internet connection came back.  Talk about frustrating!  Anyway, we only looked at a couple of the examples, but we did get our own class blog started.  The students chose a name:  Second Grade Scotties, and a layout, and then we added a class picture, and their first post (dictated to me).  The lesson turned out fine, but it sure would be nice to live in a technologically perfect world when you're trying to teach a lesson dealing with technology.

No comments: