Monday, September 15, 2008

Routines

I've been waiting for some really profound thoughts before adding a post, but nothing's come up and I'm thinking I need to update as we've now been in school for two weeks.  It's getting a little easier to get up in the morning (although I really love sleeping in on Saturdays), and we're beginning to develop some routines in the classroom.  My students are really sweet and social; we're still working on the social part.  Our new reading curriculum has arrived and almost all of the supply order is here, so things are moving along well.  This week we're reading stories about "Frog and Toad" and learning about the life cycle of a frog in addition to our insect study, so we're getting a lot of science in.  Thankfully the rain stopped today, so the kids could have outside recess (and I could get my cup of coffee).

On another topic, Christian singer Sandi Patty is coming to my church on Thursday, September 25 for a free women's concert - if you're near Holland, check it out at Christ Memorial Reformed Church.  Our church choir is going to sing several songs with her, which should be fun.  We've definitely gotten into the singing routine to practice for the concert.

My dog, Tosca, is also trying to help us follow a routine of a daily walk after work.  Most days it's working.  We'll see how it goes when the weather gets colder.

All in all, I think routines are good.  They give me a sense of belonging - of finding my place. After a more relaxing, routine-less summer, it feels good to fall back into a routine.   But the most wonderful routine is the fact that God is with me every day.  I'm thankful that His routine doesn't take a summer "break."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written! Have a great week! the don

kvz said...

What do you mean - "waiting for profound thoughts"? I think all of your thoughts are profound! :)