Sunday, June 30, 2013

Toby

I never thought I'd fall in love again. 
But I have. 
Fully and completely.


His name is Toby. We met eighteen days ago at a little animal shelter two hours away in the town of Stanton, MI. He sat in front of me, put his paw gently on my arm, looked at me with his beautiful brown eyes, and I fell in love. Although he had a rough start his first two weeks at home by becoming quite sick (intestinal problems and other issues common to shelter dogs), he is now doing much better and we're settling in to life together.

Although he was very docile when he was sick, I'm finding a bit of curiosity/mischievousness now that he's feeling better. He's shredded several papers I left on the table and he can reach up on the counter to get food (or his canned food lid). 

He's also discovered a great spot to watch what's going on outside:



I saved a couple of Tosca's favorite toys, and Toby loves the kong. I put little dog treats inside and he moves it around until they come out. He also is starting to get the idea of fetching the tennis ball and bringing it back to me. (Tosca never did get the hang of "fetch.") 


Yesterday was finally bath day! My mom and I took Toby to Chow Hound, where they have a self-serve dog wash room. It was great - they supplied the tub, shampoo, towels, (an apron for me), and they cleaned up after we finished. Toby was fine going in the store, but when we got to the little room he wouldn't walk up the ramp, so I had to lift him into the tub. He sat there, trembling with fear. I felt so bad for him and just stood there, trying to comfort him. He finally settled down and sat there quietly while I washed and rinsed him. 





Now his fur is so smooth and soft (and the "shelter smell" is gone). I had also saved all of Tosca's bandanas (assuming I would get another female dog). I sorted through them to find an appropriate one for a boy dog.

I'm so grateful God brought Toby into my life. I'm looking forward to the places we'll explore together. I love the life that's in my house again.

Welcome home, Toby!



3 comments:

Stephanie said...

SO happy he's feeling better and the two of you are settling in. He's beautiful!

Michelle said...

His picture shows how happy he is. I am so happy for you too. I can't wait to read about your adventures too.

Charity said...

He is gorgeous. And so perfect for you. Happy happy for you both!