Friday, July 12, 2013

Stepping Stones

I finished up my garden by making some stepping stones this week. I found several ideas on Pinterest and adapted them.



I used Quickrete (found at Lowes) instead of the little stepping stone mixes that the craft stores carried. The 40 pound bag made six stones and cost $11 as opposed to the little mixes that make a single stone for $6. There are a lot of varieties of Quickrete but the helpful salesman told me this one would be best for “crafty” stepping stones because it didn’t have the gravel the other kinds have. It was nice and smooth.

I mixed enough cement for a single stone at a time so it wouldn’t all harden at once, but I needed to weigh out 5-8 pounds. Because I never throw anything away, I found an old scale in the basement that worked perfectly! I bought some alphabet cookie cutters to use as a template for the letters.  





It took about 15-20 minutes to make each stone. I had a couple molds and bought a few aluminum pans at the dollar store for the rest. They hardened for a couple days and this morning I put them in the back garden.







 I think they add just the right touch to my garden!
Finally, a craft project that worked.









No comments: