Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Garden Therapy

This is what it looks like now.



This is what it looked like last September.


I spent last Labor Day weekend digging out the old ground cover and weeds that surrounded the back corner of my backyard. Two weeks after burying Tosca, I felt the need to do something physical where I didn't need to think. I just needed to dig; an outlet for my grief. After three 8-hour days bent over on my hands and knees, I finally looked around and had two thoughts:
1. I'm so sore I can hardly stand up straight.
2. What am I going to do with this bare corner now??

This spring I came back to the task. Spending every spare minute in the back corner of the yard, I dug up more of the grass, 


and connected this new section with the previous garden,


pulled weeds (and then pulled the new weeds), 


added a brick border,


and two yards of soil,


finishing off with $100 worth of new perennials and a beautiful mulch.







I love it!

And I think of it as Tosca's Garden.








1 comment:

Dot Schipper said...

Like it. It also seems like the trees in the back look fuller too.