Friday, July 6, 2012

Storytelling in Africa


Trying Five Minute Friday again                             Writing Prompt: STORY

I can still see the joy on the faces of the children crowded around me in the rural municipality of Ndwedwe, South Africa, seven years ago as I told the story of the Good Shepherd. Bridging the language barrier with paper cutouts and pieces of felt (representing grass, rocks, and water), we acted out the story as they eagerly told me the Zulu name for each object. Grubby hands reached out to take their turn holding the shepherd or sheep as they retold the story over and over and over. And I remember their delight at the mention of Jesus – “Jesu” – both their Good Shepherd and mine. 
A single story binds us together forever: Jesus loves and cares for us.

2 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

What a great story. I love you shared the story of telling about Jesus. Thanks for sharing.
Have a Blessed afternoon,
Sherry

Nancy said...

Your story is vivid and even without the pic the word pictures were clear. Jesus does indeed bind us together and in Him the differences disappear. N
http://wordsfromthehomefront.blogspot.com