Friday, July 20, 2012

Enough: A Reminder

Five Minute Friday             Writing Prompt: Enough


Sometimes it seems my prayers are full of requests. Please be with so-and-so, help me to ..., give me ..., I need ..., please do this-or-that. It seems like I'm always asking God for more; it's never enough. 


Although these types of prayers aren't wrong, when I get off-balance in my types of prayers, I need to remember that He has given me enough.  There's an ancient Jewish song that begins: "If the Lord, the Lord, had rescued, only rescued us from Egypt, just the rescue would have been enough for us."  I need to remember that the Lord's rescue of me from my sin by Jesus - my salvation - is enough.


As I sat in the afternoon sun on my deck in the backyard earlier this week,  I heard the strong, clear sound of a cardinal. I peered up into the tree branches until I saw his bright red coat and then just watched him sing for several minutes. I could see his vibrating throat as he repeated his song of praise over and over. And I was reminded again of the numerous gifts God has given me.


If a cardinal can praise God through his song, surely I can praise Him in my prayers. I have enough. You, Lord, are enough.



2 comments:

Mindy @ New Equus - A New Creation said...

Yes, we are most certainly blessed with "enough". I have heard that Jewish saying before and it is so true! Lovely post! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post. Great reminder that God is our "enough." I too often feel that my prayers are just a list and that I need to stop and just worship Him.