Thursday, August 18, 2011

Summer Fling

With school beginning next week (teacher meetings all week; kids begin Aug. 29), my dog, Tosca, and I took off this morning on our second annual 2-day hiking getaway. Last year we went south to Indiana; this year we headed north to Ludington State Park. The day was perfect - blue sky, low humidity, comfortable temperatures in the upper 70s, with a slight breeze at times.

At first I wasn't sure we'd be able to go this summer as my dog has begun to show her 14 years of age. She's often stiff in the morning and we've cut our walks to 4-5 blocks, but she perked up a little during the last couple weeks, so I decided to go and just take it easy.

She was like a different dog when she got on the hiking trail. Bright eyes and prancing feet, she was so excited and couldn't wait to get started! She was always ready to keep going (even when I was ready to rest) and loved splashing in the water. We hiked for over 3 hours and she did great.

We began on the Sable River Trail, walking near the river and watching groups of people float on rafts. It looked like fun. Most of the afternoon was spent on the Island and Ridge Trails, beginning near Hamlin Lake and ending atop wooded dunes.


This is a view of the Big Sable Lighthouse from the Ridge Trail.


I watched a group of ducks swimming while we ate our picnic lunch. Later I saw a pair of swans with their cygnet. I also got a glimpse of a camouflaged toad near a tree. Tosca lunged at something in the bushes, but I pulled her away in time to save whatever it was. And once, when we came around a bend, I saw a mother deer eating in the woods quite near us. She looked at us but wasn't frightened and then went back to eating. I watched for a few minutes and then stepped forward to continue walking - and saw a spotted fawn! We watched each other a few minutes before Tosca and I resumed our walk. (I'm not sure Tosca ever noticed the deer; I think she would have charged if she had.)


After our hike, we checked out the Waterfront Park in downtown Ludington just in time to watch the S.S. Badger (car ferry) come in. That is a big boat! The park has several sculptures showcasing Ludington history in the park - pretty cool.

We also stopped at Stearns Park to see the North Breakwater Lighthouse.

After a busy day, Tosca was ready for bed in our hotel room!

I'm looking forward to a great morning of hiking tomorrow!
Then it's time to go home and think school.
What a great way to end summer vacation!

1 comment:

kvz said...

What a fabulous choice for relaxing and rejuvenating before next week! And perfect weather too! Enjoy your last weekend "off" and see you next week!