Friday, August 5, 2011

Painting

The paintbrush glides smoothly across the wall. Back and forth, the repetitive motion changes the cool ivory color to a welcoming butter cream yellow. Painting, at least for me, takes total concentration to keep even strokes, smooth edges (especially where the wall meets the ceiling), and drips/spills to a minimum. It’s a perfect activity to keep your mind occupied and wandering thoughts elsewhere. I’m very thankful that I had previously made plans to paint a bedroom and bathroom at my parents’ house yesterday. When the news of this case came out Wednesday morning, I needed something else to think about and I needed to be with people instead of at home by myself. I recalled how I felt this past October; the last time it made headlines, when I realized it will never completely go away.

As I glance around at the freshly painted walls, I realize how easy it is to change the tone of a room with just a can of paint. This new color makes the bedroom much more inviting and cheery. The previous shade is completely wiped away, as if it never existed. I wish a simple paintbrush could wipe away unpleasant experiences and memories from our minds. But it’s not that easy. So, for now, I’ll enjoy the beauty of a transformed bedroom and the therapy it provided while God continues to paint my life.

1 comment:

CharityVL said...

I thought of you when I read about this in the paper.