Saturday, July 24, 2010

Legoland

My nephew had his 7th birthday this week, and we celebrated by taking him to Legoland on Wednesday. I was amazed at how much they could fit in the building – a simulated factory room, a miniature exhibit of the downtown Chicago area, a 4D movie theatre, a jungle expedition walkway filled with lego creatures, dragon quest and technicycle rides, a cafĂ©, and the most important area – the store. It was crowded and overpriced, but we had a good time. In Joey’s words, his favorite part of the day was “spending your money!” :)

It’s amazing what can be built from legos – the buildings, animals, characters, etc. – what a tremendous amount of planning must go into the design of each creation.

And, after helping Joey put together his new Toy Story Wild West sheriff’s office and gold mine, I’ve gained a new appreciation for the lego kits that build a specific item. I’ve always liked the concept of the lego tubs: a large container filled with various pieces, which kids could manipulate to build things using their imaginations. I thought the kits which built one specific thing stifled kids’ creative thinking. Now, however, I realize that these kits stimulate a different, and just as important, type of thinking. As we worked throughout the evening, following the instruction booklet, Joey was learning how to read directions (both written and pictorial) and gaining experience with geometric concepts. He also learned about persistence and patience and was rewarded with a completed set that looked just like the picture on the box when we finally finished at 10 p.m. (too late and too tired to take a picture!).

I loved spending this time with my nephew. Although our Legoland trip was probably a one-time birthday outing, I look forward to working on additional lego kits with him in the future. Happy Birthday, Joey! I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried to "follow" you, but I don't think it worked. ds