Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Break in North Carolina - Part 1

I love spring vacation! After a long, cold and snowy winter the promise of spring is wonderful. My parents and I, along with my dog, Tosca, are spending much of the week in Asheville, North Carolina - one of the most pet-friendly cities in the United States.

We arrived last Saturday evening to balmy temperatures in the 60s and lots of sun. We're staying at the Mountain Springs cabins just outside of Asheville. Our cabin is right near a mountain stream, so we can hear the water as well as the birds singing. It's so peaceful. I would definitely recommend it. (http://www.mtnsprings.com)



Tosca and I spent about an hour yesterday morning hiking through the woods to a pretty waterfall while my parents sat at an overlook along the Blue Ridge Parkway, reading and knitting and enjoying the view of the mountains. We had a great walk, and Tosca enjoyed drinking from the streams. I also realized a little difference between dogs and people when they hike: I carefully picked my way through the rocks and along the trail to stay clear of any mud and to find the best path. Tosca, however, simply walked the quickest way - stepping in water, mud, and over rocks. I figured there's probably an analogy in this somewhere as to how we go through our Christian walk, but I can't decide if Tosca's way or my way is better. (My way is definitely less messy, however.)



Tosca thoroughly loved the pools of water when we arrived at the waterfall. It was so fun to watch her jump in the water and swim to the other side, scrambling up on the rocks. She raced back and forth along the side of the stream, almost prancing like a pony. I wish I had a camcorder.




Because the day was beautiful (sunny and in the 70s), we spent the afternoon touring the grounds of the Biltmore Estate. The gardens just opened this weekend and, although not everything was blooming yet, we did see a beautiful display of tulips mixed with pansies and other spring flowers. Many of the spring flowering trees and bushes are blooming also. Dogs are not allowed in any of the buildings at the Biltmore, but the grounds are very pet-friendly. They even have special water buckets just for dogs. My mom and I walked along a path through several of the numerous gardens all the way to a pond where my dad met us with the car.



The only sad part about the day is that I left my pedometer back at the cabin. Our staff at school is involved in a little contest counting the number of steps we walk each day. Of course I forget the pedometer the day I'm doing a lot of walking!

It was a wonderful day to reflect on the beauty of God's creation.

No comments: