Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snowed In

Yes, we definitely have enough snow in Holland, Michigan! Last week Wednesday I came home from school in a nasty snowstorm; I could hardly see the road in front of me. That was the last day we had school; it's been a steady mix of snow, blowing wind/snow, and frigid temperatures/wind chills for the past week. I never even left my house until Monday (just for a quick trip to the grocery store). Today it finally stopped snowing and we even saw the sun and blue sky for a bit this afternoon - glorious. 

The dominant color in my neighborhood is white - white snow everywhere you look. I can't remember ever seeing this much snow at a time (except during the blizzard of '78). 










Every day I'd go out and snow blow the driveway … until the snowblower quit. The first few days I also shoveled off the back deck but gave up eventually and just shoveled a little path for Toby. Yesterday I finally shoveled a little path along the sidewalk so the mailman can get through (took a half hour to do the sidewalk in front of my house).





And, although I'm very thankful for the city plows, it's so frustrating when they come through and mess up the end of the driveway!




Poor Toby can hardly get through all the snow. He still makes his way, almost hopping, to his spot in the backyard. When he's finished, he'll dash along the little path back inside. He usually enjoys playing in the snow, but right now it's just too deep and too cold.




It is pretty. And I like it - in moderation. But there's just nowhere to put it anymore!





I expect we'll go back to school tomorrow. Most streets have been plowed and the temperature/wind chill is supposed to be better. After a week of "Snow Days" I'm sure kids, teachers, and parents are ready to get back to the normal routine.

Besides shoveling all the snow, it has been nice to sit and read a couple books, do a little baking, and have time to work on our school's spring program. And it's been nice staying home with Toby.

 


Just saw the latest weather forecast … you guessed it: another "Winter Weather Advisory" for tomorrow with more snow and blowing snow. Oh Michigan, how I love you!     
spring is coming…spring is coming…spring is coming…spring is coming...






No comments: