Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book Learning


I love to read. Whenever I have free time, you’ll find me stretched out on the couch or sitting on the back deck with a book in my hand. I also want to learn from the books I read. So I often look for books that will introduce me to new cultures, expose me to other points of view, and stretch my thinking.  Books like The Poisonwood Bible, Room, The Help, and even The Hunger Games trilogy all caused me to think about the world, society, religion, and good and evil.

But the last two books I read have gone beyond simply offering a new perspective on the world and our society. They have brought about both a sense of thankfulness for my blessings as well as a feeling of helplessness for people I don’t know and have never met; who suffer every day.

The books, A Walk Across the Sun and Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity, both take place in the land of India and deal with people who have little control over their lives.  The characters and their life-situations have troubled me and stuck in my mind.

The first book, A Walk Across the Sun (by Corban Addison), shows the prevalence of the sex trafficking “industry” not only in India, but around the world. The book is a novel; however the author spent several years researching modern-day slavery and spoke to activists and former trafficked victims before writing the book.  Although it’s a difficult read, it’s an important one in order to become aware of what’s going on in the world and how widespread this problem is (even here in Michigan).

The second book, Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity, is a true story, written by Katherine Boo, who spent three years visiting the Annawadi slum and interviewing residents in order to tell their story. I admire the perseverance many of these people have, but the widespread corruption throughout the government leaves them very little chance to improve their lives. The contrast between the wealthy (and even middle-class) and these slum dwellers is frustrating to read about; yet this contrast occurs even here in America.

I can’t get these books out of my mind. I think of how different my life is and how grateful I am for the blessings I have, including freedom. So many people in the world, especially women, do not have the freedom to live, work, vote, own land, and make their own decisions. I don’t take this freedom for granted.  But I’m also troubled. What can I do to help? As a Christian, I strive to live by the motto of “Love God and Love People.”  I need to take seriously Micah 6:8 – “What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” How can I make a difference? Even giving to charities that try to help these people is no guarantee as I realize that money is often used fraudulently (evidenced in K. Boo’s book). It leaves me with a feeling of helplessness.

And yet I’m glad I can’t easily shake these books off. I’m glad that I read them and have been introduced to these realities.  And I pray that God will continue to work in my mind and my heart - teaching me about this broken world and helping me to make a difference.

No comments: