Sunday, May 16, 2010

Communion

Communion is a sweet word. It evokes a sense of shared experience with others and the joy of celebration. When I have communion with someone, I participate in their life; we have an intimate connection with each other. I love the communion I have with my family and friends, but even more special is the communion we can have with God.

At church this morning we celebrated our communion with God by sharing bread and juice during the Lord’s Supper. This is always a special time for me, but occasionally I have the opportunity to serve the elements as a pastoral care elder. Each time I participate in this way I am so blessed.

In our church people come forward to receive the bread and juice. Elders and pastors stand together in pairs at the front of the sanctuary; one carries a platter containing small pieces of pita bread while the other holds a large wooden goblet filled with grape juice. As people come forward, they take a piece of bread and dip it into the juice and then eat it.

As I stood at the front of church this morning and watched the overflowing aisles, I was filled with a sense of joy for God’s love. I don’t know everyone’s name or the circumstances in their lives, but God does and He invited them all to come and participate - to have communion with Him (and each other). It was such a privilege to look directly at each person that came to me, touch his or her arm or shoulder, and give a personal message from God to them: “The blood of Christ was shed for you.” People reacted differently: some saying “Amen” or “Praise God” while others just nodded their affirmation. A few didn’t maintain eye contact and just looked down, and one woman looked like she was about to cry. People of all ages came forward and I wondered how God has worked in each of their lives. I felt a deep connection to each as I smiled at and spoke to them; I felt like a conduit, channeling God’s love to His people. It was a holy experience. Making it even more special was the fact that over 30 middle and high school students professed their faith this morning and enjoyed this special communion service for the first time.

I’m so thankful that God desires to have communion with us. The fact that he sent his son, Jesus, to die and pay the price for our salvation is amazing. That He wants to be intimately involved in our lives is comforting. And the way He uses the service of Communion to further develop communion between himself and other people is oh so sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God Almighty, how lovely this is!