Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day

I hate Valentine’s Day. I guess hate is too strong a word, but it’s definitely not my favorite holiday. Being single, it seems as if this is a day to rub in the fact that some of us are alone. All the cards and flowers and advertisements just remind me that I don’t have “that special someone” and I’m envious of all who do.

I didn’t always dislike Valentine’s Day. I remember the excitement of school parties as a child and choosing just the right valentine with the perfect message to give to each classmate. In junior high we girls each designed a heart, which we wore pinned to our shirt on Valentine’s Day. The boys all tried to get us to talk, so they could take our heart. Whoever had the most hearts at the end of the day received a prize.

This Valentine’s Day, however, I wasn’t thinking about myself. My dad was admitted to the hospital the night before because of breathing difficulties, so my mind was on him. The doctors weren’t initially sure if his problem was pneumonia or heart problems (he has congestive heart failure), but after a number of tests they determined it was the heart, so they’ve started him on a new type of medication which hopefully will help his heart rate and his breathing.

I went up to the hospital to visit him after church (on Valentine’s Day). My mom was there too, and at one point she suggested they take a short walk down the hall. As I watched them walk through the door together, my dad in his hospital clothes and walking a bit unsteady because of his condition and my mom dressed in her nice “church” clothes, I thought of their love and commitment to each other. They’ve been married almost 50 years (this coming December) and been through a lot with my dad’s health. They rely on each other and support each other. They love each other - for better or for worse, in difficult times as well as the good times. They are a wonderful example of true commitment and love to me, as well as to my sister and brother.

I’m no longer going to think of Valentine’s Day as a day reminding me of what I’m missing. Instead, I’m going to remember Valentine’s Day as a day to celebrate my parents’ love and commitment to each other. And the picture in my head is of the two of them, holding hands as they walk out the door of my dad’s hospital room for a walk down the hall. It’s a beautiful picture.

I love you Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

kvz said...

Lump in my throat! What a special memory...