Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Dogsled Ride

I spent last weekend up north at the Shanty Creek Resort and Schuss Mountain with some good friends from school. The weather was perfect: lots of snow but very little wind, not too cold, and a beautiful blue sky. We enjoyed the winter weather by tubing, cross country skiing (some went downhill skiing - I just watched), and going on a night-time sleigh ride. We also enjoyed good food and fellowship.

But the highlight, for me, was seeing the sled dogs. I knew from the website that they had dog sled rides available on the weekends. But they were advertised for kids. I LOVE dogs! And I love sled dogs. I went on three excursions during my trip to Alaska that dealt with sled dogs. But I've never gone for a dogsled ride in the snow. So, I called the reservation line on Saturday to see if there were any openings and if they'd allow an adult to sign up. The rides were all booked. Oh well.

At the end of our cross-country skiing trail, we saw the sled dog team racing by. We skied over (well, by then I had taken my skis off); they were just about finished with the rides for the day, so we watched the last two kids go for a ride. I told the lady I was a second grade teacher and explained how my class learns about sled dogs and the Iditarod race each year and .....

They gave me a short dog sled ride for free and then let me stand on the sled (pushing down on the brake because the dogs were ready to run!) so we could get pictures to show my class. It was so exciting to ride - hearing the screech of the sled runners and the breathing of the dogs, feeling the wind and listening to the "haw" turn signal given by the musher, seeing those beautiful dogs do what they love. It was an awesome highlight to a great weekend getaway!


Now, maybe I should learn how to drive the dogsled.

2 comments:

CharityVL said...

How awesome! I think sled dogs are gorgeous creatures. I remember when Chloe did the iditarod study in your class.

Anonymous said...

Again, well done and exciting for you. Let me know when you get your own team. You can take me for a ride.
ds