Friday, November 27, 2009

Thankful

Although I have so much to be thankful for, this year my heart has been heavy with thoughts of so many who are suffering and I’ve found it hard to get in the thankful mood. Families who are struggling with severe and/or terminal illnesses by either a parent or young child, premature babies dealing with health issues, and others recovering from surgery remind me that we can’t always be thankful for good health.

But after reading a blog by a mother whose 5 year old daughter is fighting brain cancer, I was struck by something she wrote: “I am reminded that some times, some seasons of life, we must be thankful simply for who God is.” And I remembered we can also be thankful for our salvation through Jesus Christ, our Savior.

Almost everything can be taken away: our health, family, job, money, etc. But once we are part of God’s family that can never be taken away. And God - and His power and love - will never change.

So I will give thanks - for the many blessings I still have, but also for who God is and the salvation He has given me.

No comments: