Sunday, November 22, 2009

Autumn Afternoon

Yesterday was beautiful and sunny - a perfect autumn day. Since report cards and conferences are finished, I decided to put off my normal weekend schoolwork and go for an afternoon hike with Tosca. We went to Hemlock Crossing, one of the county parks in Port Sheldon Township along the Pigeon River. It was my first visit to this park, which has over seven miles of hiking trails through pine forests, meadows, marsh/swamp areas, and along the river.

Growing up, I was not an “outdoorsy” person; in fact, my first choice was always sitting on the couch with a book in my hands. You would never find me participating in any outdoors activity unless it was required. While I still love to read, I’ve grown to appreciate the experience of hiking and enjoying God’s creation. It also provides the quiet opportunity to pray and just reflect on God and life.



Hemlock Crossing is a great place to hike. As we started down the trail, the first thing I noticed was the bright blue of the sky above. Then, as we walked a ways, I became aware of the lack of color everywhere else. Piles of leaves, all various shades of brown, blanketed the ground and all around were empty tree branches. As I thought about the coming winter season, the surrounding scenery reminded me of the fall and winter seasons in our lives. I thought about the difficult times both in my own life and in the lives of people I know and have been praying for recently. As I started silently praying for these family members, friends, and acquaintances again, “why” questions came to my mind: Why, God, do parents of young children need to deal with a terminal illness? Why do children struggle with cancer? Why do tumors exist? Why does the AIDS crisis and poverty affect so many innocent children in African countries? Why does life have to be so difficult?



I know it’s through the difficult (“fall and winter”) times in our lives that we often grow the closest to God, but I wish it were easier. I thought about how I want to grow ever closer to God, but I’m also afraid to go through the difficult experiences that will bring me closer. I don’t want to pray the prayer that says “use me” because I know He will but in a way I don’t expect and that will probably stretch me in a way I don’t want to be stretched.

As I kept thinking, my mood became more gloomy, and I suddenly realized how quiet it was. When I go hiking in the summer or early fall, the air is usually filled with the sounds of birds and insects are buzzing around. But I hadn’t heard or seen any birds in the park. I stopped to listen, and only heard silence.

And then, as if in answer to my questions of why, I heard a birdcall…and then another answer. I watched two tiny chickadees flit from tree to tree; calling out an answer that God is indeed present and does care. I also caught a glimpse of a woodpecker. Although it seemed as if the birds were all gone, they were still there, waiting for the proper time to show their presence. It reminded me that even though we go through difficult times, God is still here and will use those times to bring us closer to Him if we let him. It truly was a holy moment for me and brightened my mood. God won’t always answer our “why” questions, but I don’t need to be afraid. I can put my trust in Him.



I also gradually became aware of several bright green patches of moss peeking out from the drab, dead leaves. A sign of life and growth, amidst the decaying leaves. A bright reminder of spring and the colors it brings and another visual aid that God is indeed with us in our difficult (“brown”) times.



The final gift God gave me was the beautiful sunlight - a reminder of the presence of God’s Son in my life. I even strayed off the trail and climbed on a fallen tree trunk leaning over the river to get a picture of the sun before it set.



What a wonderful way to spend time with God … and exercise the dog at the same time!

P.S. Tosca slept really good last night! And no, I didn't take the photo of the chickadee. My phone doesn't have that good of a camera - I don't think my camera is even that good of a camera.

No comments: