Sunday, January 11, 2009

God's Goodness this Weekend

As I was driving to school this past Friday morning, I was meditating on God's holiness and goodness (the theme of our sermon the previous Sunday). It was easy to focus on God's goodness as my life is going pretty well right now, and I wondered how much more difficult it would be if things weren't going well. I've also been trying to catch up with several former colleagues during the past month. I received emails from 3 of them on Friday morning and made plans to meet one for supper that night, another for breakfast on Saturday morning, and the third for tea on Saturday afternoon. Wow, I remember thinking. What a fun and busy weekend.

When I returned home from school Friday afternoon I received several pieces of news that immediately caused some anxiety and a little paranoia. If I had been home all weekend I'm sure I would have had difficulty getting to sleep and my mind would have raced to all kinds of anxious, negative thoughts. Right away I thought how cool it was that God had already planned my weekend to keep me busy - before I knew why I needed to keep busy. I had a great time on all three visits and my negative, anxious thoughts have been kept to a minimum this weekend. Today I can again meditate on God's goodness and sovereignty ... and the fact that He is involved in all areas of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When ou get a chance, let me know the reasons for your anxiety. the don