Friday, August 8, 2008

Tosca's 10th Birthday

Ten years ago on August 8, 1998, I got my dog, Tosca, from an animal rescue organization.  She was about a year old then, so she's really 11 now, but I'm counting our years together.  She's gone from a dog who was uneasy around strangers (and terrified of men) to a friendly dog who thinks everyone wants to say hi to her.  She loves to run and be chased by other dogs as well as go for walks and receive her nightly bedtime treat in her Kong toy.

We had a great day together.  We first spent time at the local dog park where she could run and jump off her leash.  After a quick stop to school we went to Lake Macatawa for a swim - well, she doesn't really swim, but she loves running and splashing (and drinking) in the water.  We ended our special birthday time with a trip to our favorite ice cream place, Captain Sundae.  I got the hot fudge sundae; thankfully, Tosca was happy with an empty cone.  I also bought her two new bandanas - she is definitely a "girly" dog and loves her bandanas!  Plus, she'll get an extra special bednight treat tonight.


2 comments:

kvz said...

How in the world did you get her to sit so nicely by the sign?!! What a great picture! You are the best dog mommy I know:).

Anonymous said...

Well, Melanie, you sure have a beautiful dog! I'm glad she isn't so inclined to run off as she used to be. Sometimes there are good things about growing older and reaching that 'women of a certain age' time. I'm glad you could have a good time with her today! Love, Mom

I had a message written, but I had your mother come down to see it so now I must write one again. I am glad that yu had a good day. Have a good night and don't let the... dad