Thursday, December 31, 2020

A Few Things God Taught Me Through a Broken Ankle

Three months ago (Saturday, September 19, 2020), my life was changed in an instant due to a single step, twist, (audible) crack, and fall from the step on my deck to the ground with the excruciating pain of a broken ankle. Throughout the long (still ongoing) recovery, I’ve tried to figure out what God wanted to teach me through this experience. Here is what I discovered –

I am not indispensable.

As a mentor teacher to three new second grade teachers in my district this year, I feel a responsibility to help them with curriculum, assessment, etc. I am also in charge of my students as their teacher. At first I thought they need me. But while I’m sure I was missed, things went along completely fine without me. My colleagues did a great job figuring things out and my students were taught and cared for by competent, loving guest teachers. It has been a good reminder that God uses people in different ways at different times; everyone is valuable and important, but no one is indispensable. Things might be done differently, but they will get done.


I am called to be a teacher.

In the first few weeks after my injury, school was so far away from my thoughts; I even wondered if I wanted to return to teaching. But as the weeks went on, I began to miss my students incredibly. I missed my colleagues. I missed teaching and learning with my kids. I missed my school community. I’m grateful God reinforced His call on my life with this deep longing to return to school, and it’s been so good to be back in the classroom where I belong.


I have an incredible support system.

I am still overwhelmed with all the love and care I was shown during the last three months from my second grade families, school colleagues, friends, and neighbors. Letting me borrow medical equipment, providing meals, walking my dogs, mowing my lawn, doing fall yard work, bringing gift baskets and little surprises, as well as the many cards and prayers were all tangible expressions of love. They truly were the hands and feet of Jesus to me. I am blessed and grateful to have such a wonderful support system. I wish everyone that has a need could have this kind of support, and I pray that I will take my place and help others the way so many have helped me. 


I have to let go what I cannot control.

I could spend time worrying or being frustrated about my situation, but it wouldn’t change anything. After a while I realized I needed to just let go and live in the moment. Trust God, ask for help when I need it, and do the best I can – pretty good advice for any time in life.


I need to persevere.

This recovery process has been hard. Each step along the way has been painful. So often the doctor said “It’s going to get worse before it will get better.” Learning to walk again takes time, patience, and a tolerance for pain. I’m typically the kind of person who gives up quickly when things are hard; I can’t give up with this. I need to push on through the pain (and know when to give my foot/leg a rest) and do what needs to be done in order to completely heal. Hopefully I can apply this learning and bring perseverance to other areas in my life.

 

Bonus: The Gift of my Time with my Mom and Sister

In addition to the things God taught me, He also gave me a wonderful gift – the opportunity to spend time with my mom and my sister. I needed help and couldn’t live alone and take care of my dogs during much of this time. My mom literally moved in with me to take care of me for almost three months. My sister came for several long weekends to give my mom a break. They did so much to help me, but it was also nice to just be together. I am so thankful for them and their willingness to temporarily drop their own lives in order to help me. We hadn’t seen each other since March because of Covid, and I will always cherish this gift of time with them. It makes this whole experience worth it.

 

“Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” 

Psalm 25: 4-5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your journey. God is good and faithful even in uncertain and challenging times.We need to remember he is in control.

Melba said...

Beautiful reflections Melanie.