Thursday, August 13, 2015

New York City - Day 3

Saturday was a little more laid-back on our New York City trip. Our first stop was Central Park. We just saw a tiny section of the park; Strawberry Fields - the memorial for John Lennon. 




We also stopped for a few minutes at Lincoln Center before driving through Harlem, where we saw the Apollo Theater. We also passed Columbia University on our sightseeing trip; in fact, we drove right by the Teachers College where the new reading/writing curriculum I'm using at school was developed. I also finally got to taste my first (and last!) New York hot dog. (Not sure why they're supposed to be so good...it was just a little hot dog with ketchup and mustard on it that was very overpriced!)

Lincoln Center




Saturday afternoon was the primary reason I was in New York City: to see my first Broadway show ON Broadway - Amazing Grace! I had seen the show twice in Chicago when it was doing a trial run and was interested to see the changes in the show. It is still amazing; the changes I noticed enhanced the story and some of the songs still gave me goosebumps. This is a wonderful show; I'm so glad I was able to see it again and in New York! This was definitely one of the highlights of my trip.

In New York, everyone lines up outside the theatre before the show. The Nederlander theatre is quite small and it was interesting to see that the wall on the side was actually made up of doors, so we walked right onto the sidewalk from our row after the show! The other difference from the Chicago, Toronto, and touring shows I've seen is that in New York the cast members come out after the show to greet fans and sign autographs - that was so cool! (Yes, I turned into a gushing teenager when I met the main cast members.)





Josh Young plays John Newton

Harriett D Foy plays Princess Peyai

Chuck Cooper plays Thomas

Erin Mackey plays Mary Catlett



We met the rest of our tour group for supper at Ben's Deli and then rode the Staten Island Ferry so we could get another view of the city at night. We got to see fireworks as the boat left Staten Island - a fun bonus!










No comments: