Sunday, May 4, 2014

Unexpected Goodbye

This past week I've been thinking again about how quickly lives can change. One minute someone is alive - breathing, thinking, existing - and the next minute their life on Earth ends when their breathing stops and silence sets in. Their soul is present … and then it is not. Difficult - whether it's from a terminal illness or an unexpected death. No matter the circumstances, death is hard; it stings. 

I'm so thankful for the hope we have through Jesus Christ that death is not the end. I believe that those who love Jesus experience a new reality when they die; as their soul leaves this place and they cease to exist here on Earth, they enter heaven and experience a new type of life with God in heaven. All their pain and struggles from Earth are ended. Because of Jesus, the sting of death is bearable.

I said goodbye to a friend and cousin yesterday. Her death was very unexpected. It's hard to believe she's gone. I feel sad but am grateful that she is at peace and reunited in heaven with her mom who died several years ago.

Although we didn't see each other often, I have good memories of the times we did spend together. I remember going to her house as a little girl at Christmas time; she and her brother taught me how to play hide and seek in the dark - what fun we kids had running around the house. I remember looking up to her when she was a big high-schooler and I was in junior high; I wanted to be just like her. And I was in awe that I knew someone who was the homecoming queen at her high school! She was friendly and easy to talk to; I remember having fun and laughing a lot together when our families would get together.

As we grew up and got busy with our own lives, we kept in touch through Facebook and met for dinner several times during the last few years. She had the sweetest laugh as we reminisced together. I wish we could have gone out for dinner one more time. She was an encourager. She stood firm for what she believed. She cared about people. I'm blessed to have known you, Brenda.

No comments: