Friday, August 2, 2013

Cousins


Question: Can two dogs – large and small, male and female, adult and puppy-ish, get along?

Answer: Yes - with patience, watchfulness, and separate rooms.

Toby met his “cousin,” Daisy, as she spent the past week with us. Daisy is a three-year-old “shichon” (shih tzu & bichon cross) and is much smaller than Toby. She’s used to her family (my sister and brother-in-law and their kids) and loves people. Other dogs – not so much. Of course it didn’t help that I had her in a travel crate during the car ride to my house when she’s used to being free in the car. Toby was excited to meet her: tail wagging, barking, sniffing, and jumping all around. Daisy, however, was not impressed and wanted nothing to do with him. For the first couple of days she stuck pretty close to me and avoided Toby completely. I guess when you’re a little 10 pound dog Toby seems like a giant.

Gradually the two dogs got used to each other and Daisy tolerated Toby’s sniffs (eventually sniffing back). Daisy had her room with her crate and food and Toby had his room, so they each had their private space (although Toby kept trying to get in Daisy’s room to get her food). When I was home, Daisy’s spot was on top of the couch right behind me. Toby was either on the floor, next to me on the couch, or at his favorite lookout spot.




By the end of the week they had learned to get along and share each other’s water bowls. We even managed a walk outside all together! They each had their hyper times (never at the same time, thankfully), so we got plenty of playtime in. Daisy loves pulling things out of the trashcan and Toby still enjoys shredding things (his nice patriotic bandana is gone), so I kept doors closed and things up high. It’s like having toddlers around! 

Overall it was a fun week. I loved having a little dog who likes to cuddle and sleep by me (take note Toby!!). It was also good for both dogs to learn how to deal with each other. We’ll see if they remember each other at Christmas time.


Hopefully Daisy is showing Toby how to go in his crate as Toby is still afraid of it.


Yes, they are both on the bed at the same time! (Toby didn't stay for long, though.)


Love this picture of them both keeping a lookout.


I never could have gotten them this close to each other at the beginning of the week.

No comments: