Thursday, April 18, 2013

Anna Maria Island (Spring Break 2013)

Now I see why so many people travel to Florida for spring break! This year I joined the mass exodus from west Michigan and flew to sunny Florida on April 1. We left the Chicago airport on a cloudy, cool morning and emerged from Tampa's airport a few hours later to sunny skies and temperatures in the low 80s. What a wonderful difference! After getting our rental car, we drove about an hour to Anna Maria Island on the gulf coast, right near Bradenton.

We stayed at the Tradewinds Resort in the middle of the island. The beach was right across the street and the dock was on the bay. The cottages were simple, but charming. And I loved all the palm trees. The biggest thing I noticed was all the green in Florida.


We had a nice mix of relaxing time vs. activities. I spent about an hour on Tuesday morning hiking at a little park - Coquina Bay Walk - at the southern end of the island. Saw mangrove trees, several birds, lots of plants, and even talked with a little lizard. 

On Wednesday morning I took a kayak tour at Emerson Point Preserve with Shan-T Kayak Tours. We spent about 3 hours kayaking through mangrove tunnels, out on the bay, and in a little cove. It was awesome! The water was so clear we could see sea stars, sponges, and various fish among other sea life. Our guide was very knowledgeable and taught us a lot, including information about conch and sea cucumber - he also took our pictures while we held these interesting species of sea life! This was probably my favorite experience of the week (and only my second time kayaking).





Later in the week we visited the Southeastern Guide Dog School to pet some puppies and then visited the Mote Aquarium. After attending the Sea Lion show I got my picture taken with the sea lions!


We spent time just relaxing, both at the pool (and at our "sister" resort down the road after our pool was closed for repair) and at the beach. I also spent quite a bit of time sitting on the dock by the bay, searching for dolphins or manatees. Apparently I just missed a group of 5 dolphins swimming under the dock the day before, so I spent 4 hours the next afternoon waiting for them to return. Of course they didn't. But I did spend about 20 minutes conversing with a new friend. (We did see one dolphin swimming out on the north side of the island one evening.)



We enjoyed a nice dinner (and sunset) at the City Pier restaurant our first evening on the island.




What a wonderful, relaxing week! I think I like this idea of escaping going to Florida during spring break!
Thanks, mom and dad, for going with me.




No comments: