Sunday, August 19, 2012

Good-bye

How do you say goodbye to a loving companion?

            who has been at your side for 14 years,

            cuddling next to you on the couch,
           
            walking by your side,

            waiting eagerly for you to return home from work each day,

            trusting you to take care of her.


It will be so hard to walk into the empty house –

            looking for her food dish,

            her toys,

            her loving greeting.

No more toenails clicking down the hall.

No more dog fur sticking to the furniture.

No more stroking her beautiful silky fur.

            And no more watching her struggle to walk on her arthritic legs,
           
            no more pacing and turning to find a comfortable position when her  
              aged body is filled with pain,

            no more looks of confusion as if she can’t remember what to do or 
             where to go.


How do you say goodbye to a loving companion?

            Through tear-filled eyes as you hold her on your lap for the last time

            through whispers of “I love you” as she takes her last breath

           through the knowledge that you’ve kept your promise to love and take 
            care of her to the end

            through memories and pictures and past blog posts

And then you take it one day minute at a time –

            missing her incredibly, but thankful for the years you spent together.


In memory of Tosca  
(1998 – Aug. 18, 2012)


3 comments:

Anne Lowry Pharr said...

Oh, I can so relate to your grief.

I lost my four-legged companion of 14 years, Isaac, nearly 5 years ago. I had given him that name because it means "laughter," and that is exactly what he brought into my days. And his death was a sad season, for sure.

I will hope your experience will be a mixture of sorrow and joy for having had such a wonderful friend for so many years.

Blessings,
Anne/shadowwonder

Charity said...

So very sorry. I know she was precious to you. You were the perfect person for her and I am sure she knew that completely!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! I'm so sorry! Tosca was the most beautiful dog I've ever known, and I had always hoped she'd be the one to live forever...
/svm