Friday, October 14, 2011

A Time To Remember


Sometimes we forget. In the busy-ness of life and the efforts to complete all the to-do lists and just getting through each day, we can forget the original purpose for why we do what we do. I’ve been feeling the struggle of this lately. Working with a new writing curriculum, a new literacy management system, more technology tools/integration, extra committee work, as well as trying to find the time to fit in everything I’m supposed to teach has been overwhelming this fall. A lot of good stuff, but all at once. By last Sunday evening I was almost at the breaking point. I couldn’t do one more extra thing. I wondered if this was really where I was supposed to be. What I was supposed to be doing.  In the stress of all this “stuff,” I’d begun to forget the why. Why I became a teacher. Why God called me to this profession. 

Thankfully God, in His perfect timing, reminded me during these last two days at our Christian Educators Association convention in South Bend, Indiana. I am so thankful I was there to be reminded of the reason I became a teacher: to make a difference in the lives of children.  Building relationships with my students, helping them develop a Christian world and life view, living out the difference because of Christ, and showing grace and love – all of these are important life lessons that extend beyond literacy, math, science, and technology. I want my students to learn the academics, but most of all I want to show them Jesus. And when I return to my class next week, although all the extra “stuff” will still be there, it will not overwhelm me. Because I remember again. I remember why I am a teacher. I love my kids. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written and true! dls

Michelle said...

You are a great teacher! I know firsthand that you love your kids because you loved mine, and they are better for having you as their teacher!