Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter Beach Walk

After a particularly challenging week, I needed to get out of the house and take a break. Find a different perspective and new scenery. But where can you go in the middle of winter? Why, to the beach, of course! So, I loaded up my dog, made a quick stop at Starbucks, and headed over to Holland State Park.

I love the beach in summer. The warm sand squishing between your toes, the waves gently lapping at the shore, and the warm breeze brushing against your back. It’s so calming and peaceful. It reminds me that God is in control and I can relax.

But the beach is also beautiful in the winter. Mounds of snow and ice cover the sand, although occasional swirls of sand meld with the snow, reminding me of a large cup of hot cocoa drizzled with whipped cream.


Waves, frozen in place, mark the boundary between the snowy mounds and the continuously moving water of Lake Michigan.


Ice is all around – covering the rocks, snow, pier, and fence railings. So cold and hard, and yet formed with intricate patterns and designs.




Looking around, I could see God’s creative hand all across the beach in the beauty of winter. The sun even peeked out a bit from the grey January sky. And several birds swam contentedly in the cold water, just as peacefully as if it were July.

Tosca loved running along the snowy beach, stopping to sniff periodically at spots only she recognized.


After an hour’s respite, I returned home, thankful for the beauty of winter and ready for a new week.

"All your works praise you, O Lord." Psalm 145:10a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and beautifully done. dls

CharityVL said...

Love the beautiful winter pictures!