Sunday, August 15, 2010

Technology at School

As I’m preparing for the new school year, I’ve been thinking about how things have changed since I first began teaching some ? years ago.

Back then we:

  • made copies of worksheets with ditto machines, which constantly stained your fingers with purple ink
  • traced letters on construction paper and cut them out by hand for bulletin board titles
  • used a large opaque projector to enlarge “cutsie” characters and then colored them with markers for bulletin board displays.
  • handwrote tests and quizzes (which always seemed to slant downward at the end of each line no matter how much I tried to keep my writing straight)
  • relied primarily on school-purchased textbooks for lessons
  • utilized filmstrips and movie projectors (and learning how to thread both reels of the projector)

Now we:

  • use a copy machine, white board, or computer screen for student worksheets or practice
  • punch letters using an acu-cut machine or a computer-generated sign or banner (and laminate so they can be reused)
  • sometimes use an overhead projector (much smaller than the opaque) if something needs to be enlarged for display
  • use the computer to make professional looking tests, quizzes, and booklets
  • rely on the internet for topic research and lesson enhancements
  • utilize video clips, student projects, and various interactive websites

As part of a team of teachers from our school who received a year-long technology grant, I spent two full days last week learning more about the ways technology can be used to enhance education, and I’m excited about the possibilities. The students I teach today are growing up in a different world than the students I taught twenty years ago. Today’s students have always known about computers and ipods, the internet and YouTube. This is their world, and I’m excited about the ways I can incorporate these kinds of things to impact their learning.

This school year I’m looking forward to using a new interactive whiteboard with my students as well as creating a classroom wiki, which will showcase their writing, videos, and audio recordings. Further training during the school year with our team as well as attending a technology conference in the spring will provide additional ways to utilize technology in my classroom to benefit my students.

As I reflect on the “good old days” of teaching, I’m thankful for the “good new days” as well and the continued advances in education and technology. My goal is to help my students learn more about God's world and their place in it. And technology can be an asset in our classroom experience.


1 comment:

CharityVL said...

I don't know if I'm ready for another school year yet, technology or not! Where did summer go??