Saturday, June 5, 2010

Festival Grand Rapids


Since I spent most of Memorial Day weekend working on report cards, I decided to take advantage of today’s nice weather and spend a couple hours in Grand Rapids at the annual Festival of the Arts. I’m so glad I did.

Although there was a threat of rain (“liquid sunshine”) all day, the weather was actually beautiful - sunny and warm, but not too hot. It became cloudy later in the afternoon, providing a little relief from the sun. (And it actually rained back in Holland after I was home - hope the rain stayed away from GR.)

Festival is food, music, and art. The various smells of 20+ food booths permeate the air as you walk along the street. Although busy, the lines weren’t terribly long and it was difficult to choose. I love the food at Festival because there are always such a variety of ethnic dishes to sample. I went the Middle East route this time with a Lebanese shawarma and a falafil; both were delicious. I stuck to traditional American for dessert - nothing can beat a waffle cone with Mackinac Island Fudge and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. It’s definitely summer time!

There’s a lot to see and do at Festival. I remember attending Festival each year as a child, beginning in either 1974 or 75. I loved the “Paint-In” and “Glue-In” kids’ activities, and I smiled this afternoon as I saw them - still here and filled with kids creating their masterpieces. Hmm, I think all my “masterpieces” must have ended up in the trash.

I also love the variety of music and dance available to see at Festival - all for free. This afternoon I enjoyed a dance performance, an acoustic band, Sam Stryke - jazz pianist, Edye Evans Hyde - a great vocalist, the River City Improv - so good, and the Schubert Male Chorus. Oh, as a bonus, there was also a skateboarding dog - not on the official entertainment schedule, but on the sidewalk near the Art Museum and entertaining people anyway. His owner would set the skateboard on the ground and the dog would run up to it, grab the edge in his teeth, and then hop on and ride down the sidewalk. He even pushed off the ground with one back leg when it slowed down! Maybe I should buy a skateboard for Tosca?

It was also fun to just sit and watch the people. As with the food, art, and entertainment, there are such a variety of people. I think of how different we all are, and yet we can come together in one place and simply enjoy the city and this event. What a fun afternoon.

No comments: