Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spring Break

After a couple of very hectic winter months, it was so nice to relax at home during spring vacation this year. My only definite plans were to get my taxes finished and catch up on some reading. Thankfully, I accomplished both, although completing the taxes with Turbo Tax was looking doubtful for a couple days due to an "older and temperamental" home computer. The first day of vacation was unusually warm and sunny, so I spent most of the day sitting in the sun on the deck with my book - ahh!

In addition to reading and doing taxes, I found time to meet friends for lunch, coffee, and supper on different days. I also saw the musical "The Color Purple;" a great story of personal triumph over the hardships of life. Although I disagree with some of the morals of the show, I love how the main character grows and learns to accept herself and develop a sense of pride in who she is. The music is catchy, featuring gospel, jazz, and ragtime songs. And the overall mood of the musical is uplifting and life-affirming.

On the Tuesday of spring vacation, author Greg Mortinsen ("Three Cups of Tea") spoke at Grand Valley State University about how he is helping build schools in rural Afghanistan and Pakistan villages to educate the boys and girls in these countries. I've read his book and am inspired by the way one person can make a difference in the world. I got there early to make sure I could get in and am glad I was able to see him in person and hear his story first-hand.

After spending a day outside doing yard work, I treated myself to a massage at Design One Day Spa (yes, I can rationalize almost anything). And I spent the last two days of vacation on "spring cleaning" - cleaning the fridge and freezer, vacuuming the fridge coils, washing baseboards, cleaning under the sofa cushions, actually moving the bed to clean underneath, etc. My new goal is to keep the house picked up; it's been four days and things are still looking good.

Sometimes it's nice to just stay home during a vacation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you change the furnace filter?

Brian & Kristi said...

Can you come to our house? Spring cleaning - what is that??? :)