Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer in Michigan

I’m sitting outside on my deck enjoying the gentle evening breeze. The flowers are blooming, the grass is mowed, Tosca is exploring in the yard, the neighborhood is generally quiet - ah. Life, at the moment, is calm, peaceful, and good. I love that about summer. And summer in West Michigan is extra special. (I guess that’s why we put up with winter.)

Where else can you sit outside and enjoy a Christian concert right next to Lake Michigan? As I listened to the group Avalon in Grand Haven a week ago, I marveled at the fact that we could gather to listen and sing Christ-centered songs in a public, outdoor venue. How awesome. The evening was filled with worship and praise to God for His marvelous creation as we looked out at the water, the sky, the birds flying by, and the large cross displayed across the channel.



A few days later I was able to go boating on Lake Macatawa and enjoy lunch with several friends and again thought about the gift we have here with the lakes as well as the gifts of friendship and time.

Summer is also a great time to organize, although I rarely accomplish this. But this year I finally did. I’ve spent the last couple weeks cleaning out and organizing almost every drawer, cupboard, and closet in my house. Even my Tupperware is organized! It feels so good to have everything put in its place, plus I now have six boxes filled with items to donate to charity. I am definitely a saver but took advantage of my momentary “dumping” mood.

Fresh fruit and vegetables, eating outside, working in the yard, reading books, spending time with friends, coffee out on the deck, a relaxed pace - I love the fact that I can calm and renew my spirit during the summer, so I can be ready for another year of teaching eager (and not-so-eager) young children.

And I need to get ready because we turned the calendar over to - August. Which means I need to start thinking about school…and getting up early…and homework…and a new group of children to love. I’m getting ready, but I’m also going to enjoy this evening breeze and the setting sun.

I love summer in Michigan!

1 comment:

CharityVL said...

My kids are not excited to think they start school this month already. I will be ready for back-to-school day but I also think summer is going way too fast. We haven't had enough days of slow pace, doing nothing, just enjoying God's creation.