Sunday, February 1, 2009

Thoughts on Self-Discipline and Love

I don't like the cold. I really don't like going for a walk in the cold. And yet I have a dog who loves going outside, in any kind of weather. One of the reasons I wanted a dog was to force me to go outside and get some exercise. I guess I forgot that included walking in the winter. We really don't go for walks that often in the winter. I'm very glad I have an overhead trolley system in the backyard that Tosca can use - she can stay outside by herself and I can watch from the (warm) comfort of the house. And yet, she is so excited when I pick up her leash and actually take her for a 20 minute walk that I feel guilty we don't go more often. She asks so little of me and provides so much love. I wish I could get over my selfishness and take her every day. Actually, I really wish that it would be 70 degrees and sunny every day - then I would want to go out walking! I really want it to be easy.

As I think about this, I realize that Tosca is similar to God, in a very small sense. As much as Tosca is thrilled when I actually spend time outside walking with her, how much more happy is God when I take out the Bible and spend time with Him in prayer. And yet, I'm so often selfish and lazy with God too. He provides so much for me and yet it's difficult for me to take the time I need and He deserves to spend with Him. I wish it was easy. I really wish everything I was supposed to do and want (at the heart) to do was easy.

I guess that's where self-discipline comes in. Maybe the more I do it, the easier it will become. But I'm also thankful that God (as well as my dog) gives me a second (and third...and fourth, etc.) chance. I'm very thankful for their unconditional love. And I'll keep trying to do better!

PS I'm going out for a walk now. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Blog. Thanks! ds