Friday, October 3, 2008

Insect Instruction - for the Teacher

I love cute, furry, cuddly animals - like dogs and cats, bunnies and even horses and sheep. But I'm not as excited about slimy, scaly, or creepy crawly creatures. However, our science curriculum at school says that students must learn about insects in second grade, so I've learned enough to teach and even appreciate (most) insects. I actually enjoy the experience of hatching butterflies with my students each fall and am awed by the way God has created them. This past week, however, I shared a new (and unexpected) insect experience with my students.

We brought our newly hatched butterflies outside to a patch of bushes and flowers earlier this week and watched as they flew off into the world. One butterfly's wings didn't work very well; since he wasn't flying off I picked him up and brought him into the bushes where he could rest. As I walked back on the sidewalk I felt something under my skirt on my leg. I thought it must be some grass or something, but when I lifted my skirt to check I saw a HUGE praying mantis crawling up my leg!! Although I am the teacher and should set a proper example to my students, I immediately did the typical girl thing: I screamed and shook my leg trying to get it off. Of course all the kids came running up to see and then most of them screamed as the (probably frightened) praying mantis jumped on some of them. Finally we all calmed down and got the praying mantis on the sidewalk (away from me). Then I actually did the "teacher" thing and we watched the praying mantis, identified his three body parts, examined his legs, etc. It was the closest I think I've ever been to a praying mantis. Of course, most of the kids couldn't wait to tell their parents that their teacher screamed when an insect crawled on her. I think I'll stick to butterflies!

4 comments:

kvz said...

That's a great story!!! Better you than me.... :)

Anonymous said...

THAT'S the story I was looking for! SO funny - I laughed out loud when I heard it just picturing it! Glad you did the right "teacher" thing by having them check it out after the initial episode, though! Good job! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry - the previous "anonymous" is me - Amy (sis). Couldn't remember my google password! :)

Anonymous said...

have you ever seen a "walking stick"?
/s